Saturday 30 November 2013

Thanks and so long! (On not being Thirsty anymore.)

Thanks to all the people who have read and commented (or not commented) and kept me company while I've been writing this blog. If you've been reading you will know that a while ago, after my 100 days without drinking, I decided to drink moderately, and I planned to keep blogging about it.

But it doesn't work. The blogging, I mean, not the moderation itself. That part's mostly fine. I am pleased with being able to drink some wine, and I don't have angst or guilt or hangovers or regrets! I haven't sorted it out perfectly, but I am getting there, and that's good for me. But in doing so, I don't have a lot to say about alcohol. For me the key to making this work, I think, is that I don't think about wine all that often. If I want some I have some, but I am not obsessing about more, or obsessing about less.

And if I don't want to obsess about alcohol, then it doesn't make sense to keep up a blog that's devoted to talking about it. So I'm signing off. I'll leave this note for a few days so anyone who reads semi-regularly will see it. Then I'll take the blog down. Time to move on to new obsessions.

Here's wishing that all of you who want to get sober get there and stay that way. And I hope you find the joy and fulfillment you are looking for in life once you take alcohol out of the way. Thanks for keeping me company along this little bit of the way.

Peace,
T

6 comments:

  1. I haven't always commented regularly due to the WordPress/Blogger issues on my phone, but I really have enjoyed checking in on you and your blog.

    I totally get your perspective. Sometimes it feels like we just give alcohol SO MUCH of our thoughts and time; I struggle with it too, even though I choose not to drink. I don't want to define my life by my not drinking, but at the same time, it's nice for me to have that outlet for when I do want to write about it.

    So ... if you're ready to move on to new adventures, I wish you the best. I hope you'll stop by to say hi at my weekend project blog wordsfortheweekend dot com. Or you could always even just keep this blog open for those who may stumble upon it or if you change your mind in future months. It's okay to just take a breather for a while (like I am at RoS).

    Just be gentle with yourself and know that if you quit drinking for 100 days, well you can probably do anything out there you set your mind to.

    All my best,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy. I will for sure keep reading your Words for the Weekend. I've been enjoying it. Thanks for your understanding and your continued kindness.

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I haven't always commented either but I have enjoyed following your story and have appreciated your thoughts/insight into my own.

    I hope you won't resent me saying so, but I do worry slightly that this is a retreat back to the earlier patterns that started this journey of yours such as you talked about in this post:
    http://thirstystill.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/day-13-hello-from-me-plus-some-thoughts.html

    Only you can examine if this is the case. Have you solved your booze problems - or good enough. If so, great. Or, are you withdrawing back into a comfort zone of not addressing it where going back to the excessive drinking may be down the road? I'm not saying you are, honestly. I'm just being devil's advocate, pointing you back to your own words, asking you to just bare in mind why you came here to begin with.

    I wish you well whatever path you and your drinking takes. And there's no need to delete the blog is there? Is/we can always just be out there should you need to connect again.

    Meanwhile, wishing you a wonderful holiday season and all the best for whatever lies up ahead.

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilly. Thanks for the comment. No, I don't resent you saying so. You might be right, and yes, I've considered that. But as far as I can tell, I am reacting to this writing and blog-reading in a way that's not supportive of keeping new habits going. Changing my focus will, I think, be good for me. Continuing to write about alcohol will not. I think the difference is that when I was doing what everyone else here was doing--not drinking--the writing made sense, but I don't think I'm comfortable after all being the poster girl for moderation. It starts to feel like I'm representing a side of an argument, when what I am really trying to do is explore what's best for me, and I don't know where that will lead. That said, I very much appreciate your comment, and the care it shows. Thanks so much for your good wishes. A happy holiday season to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Oh that's a shame but I totally get what you are doing and why. All the best to you and please do drop by if you are ever in need of some internet love or have a comment or just want to touch base. Take good care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs D! I've really appreciated your support, and I'm looking forward to reading that book of yours. Best wishes to you, too. xo

      Delete